Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Not In A Million Years.

Pregnancy dreams. Are. The. Worst.

Last night, I slept through one of the most mind-boggling dreams I think I might have ever endured. Usually when they get too emotional to bear, I wake up, either crying or startled or both, and either get up and walk around the house or find a way, somehow, to fall back asleep. But the only thing that woke me up at 5:45 this morning was the peering light coming through the crack between the window ledge and the blackout drapes.

At first I blamed too much chocolate before bed as the culprit for such emotionally charged dreams. But as the pregnancy wares on, I realize it's much less to do with what my mouth is consuming, as what my brain is consuming and digesting every day. What's on television; what I read; what I sit and think about when I'm alone, or at work while I should be working. This information and these thoughts manifest themselves in my psyche, and all these extra female hormones rear their ugly heads in my dreams. They practically never, ever have anything to do with what's really happening in my life at the time.

I woke up this morning facing my husband's broad shoulders staring back at me. I shot up like a dart to see what the time was, thinking we'd once again slept through several snooze buttons. But, no, the alarm hadn't even gone off yet. And there I was, just twenty minutes from the sound of the same obnoxious radio station that he needs to jolt him out of bed each day, unable and unwilling to close my eyes again. I lay there, staring at his broad shoulders, the back of his head, his right ear. Telling myself, he'd never, ever do that. In a million years it'd never happen. That's not him. That's. Not. Him. When he finally turned over to face me - after what felt like thirty minutes but was really probably two - he didn't even bother to open his eyes before I started telling him.

"I had a bad dream; a really bad one."

"What happened this time?"

"I was pregnant, and you went to dinner with someone but you wouldn't say who; you ended up leaving me for her. You broke up with me at my parents house, in their backyard. You were so calm, and I was so heartbroken, and I didn't understand how it could be that easy. I threw a rod iron chair at you and it landed in the pool."

He smiled at the thought of my physical retaliation. "That would never happen. Not in a million years." And the strong arms that are connected to the broad shoulders on his back reached around me, held me, for the rest of the quietness that we had this morning.

Tomorrow we'll be married for four years. It took him a little while to learn me, and what I needed to hear to feel better about what my mind puts me through from time to time. But I know that I'm lucky to have a man in my life who cares enough to make sure that my bad dreams - or as I refer to it, my crazy pregnancy woman brain - stay in check. He'd never do anything to make me feel like I'm less than what he needs or wants. He's the man that men want to be friends with, that women want to have children with, and sleep next to at night, every night for the rest of their lives. And I'm the woman who's been with him for nearly six years now. From almost the first date, we've been attached, and I've never felt more at home or more myself than when I'm with him. He's made me a mother, a wife, and has given me the very good feeling of having both feet firmly on the ground, even when my head is in the clouds.

A good man makes a good woman want to be better. Not for him. For her. And that's what he does for me. I strive because he sees that I can and believes in me. I stand behind my conviction even when I have to choose my battles, and he's the only man I've ever had in my life that I know won't turn away from me when I can't contain my frustration. He'd rather see it the same day, than watch it come out after a year's worth of pain reaches the pinnacle, and becomes an uncontrollable mass.

I love him, because I know nothing like that would happen in a million years. And I believe him when he says it, even though he doesn't have to say it at all. And it makes it easier to fall asleep the next night, knowing that when I wake up there will be a set of broad shoulders always laying next to me, with strong arms to hold me, for the rest of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment